As the world becomes smaller and smaller due to fast-developing technology, students have the chance to study abroad almost anywhere they like. However, is studying abroad the right choice for you? This article will help you find out the answer.
Why Do You Want to Study Abroad?
1. Personal Growth: Studying abroad provides a new environment, which would be challenging, but also interesting and beneficial. By living and studying in a foreign country, you would learn how to deal with different situations. You will find yourself “grow up” after coming home.
2. Benefit Future Career: Colleges have all kinds of study abroad programs for different majors. The programs may offer internship opportunities tied closely to a certain major in another country. Taking that opportunity will give you the job experience that other students can not get.The foreign job experience can really make you stand out from job seekers, especially that you are seeking job internationally.
3. Learn Another Language: Studying in another country is the best way to learn a new language. As said in this post, learning another language is easier if you are in an environment where only that language is spoken.
4. Expand Worldview: Learning abroad also means learning about another culture. You will get to know different perspectives that you will never know home. By the time you return, you would realize you are more informed about the world and less biased.
5. Enhance the Value of Your Degree: Studying abroad program may have some courses that are exclusive for students in the program. You may consider a minor in language or even a second major.
Where to Study Abroad?
When choosing the destination of studying abroad, you should ask yourself questions like below:
1. Am I interested in the culture and language in that country?
2. Do I like the weather, food, and local life there?
3. Are there many opportunities related to my major in that country?
4. How much will it cost me?
5. What value will I gain by studying there?
For more tips on choosing a study abroad program, see this article.
How to Prepare for Studying Abroad?
To prepare for studying abroad, it is important take care of your finance before leaving. When you apply to the studying abroad program, you should apply to scholarships and loans as well. You can search for scholarships on your own school’s website, or talk to your counselor. Also, websites like Fastweb are good searching tools to use. Just be careful with spam. For example, you should not be asked to pay to get a scholarship.
As for foreign banking, ATM machines overseas typically accept most U.S. bank ATM cards. Click here to find an ATM at the location you plan to study abroad. Learn about how the bank systems work and currency in the country you will go to avoid future issues. Also, you should have about $300 in foreign currency for emergencies and basic costs.
Make the Most Out of Studying Abroad
Wherever you go to study abroad, you should make the most out of it. Why wasting time and money if you won’t gain anything from it? Study hard and take the opportunity to learn about another culture. Travel around that country if you have free time, because not everyone has the chance to do that.