Hawaii is the newest U.S. state and is made up of an archipelago of islands. Although Hawaii is so far west of the rest of the U.S. in the Pacific Ocean, the state offers a number of distance learning programs. Most of these programs can be taken by students living anywhere in the United States and other countries. They include:
- Distance Learning @ The University of Hawaii is the umbrella name for all of the distance learning programs offered through the University of Hawaii system. There are lots of options on degree and certification programs that students can take. The certification programs include health care management and disaster preparedness and emergency management. The bachelor’s degree programs include elementary education, political science, and business administration. Among the master’s programs are library and information sciences, special education, and social work. There are also doctoral degrees offered through distance learning as well as other post-baccalaureate certification programs in a variety of disciplines. Courses are offered both online and through cable TV services.
- The Hawaii State Department of Education gives public school students in Hawaii opportunities to take advantage of distance and online learning. The department is known for its E-School program, which is a supplementary education program for students in public schools and primarily for those at the high school level. It offers a number of distance learning courses that can be completed at home to act as a supplement to regular courses completed in the classroom. The state of Hawaii also has several community colleges and universities that partner with its public school systems to provide more distance learning opportunities for students who are unable to attend traditional classes.
- Hawaii Pacific University has a Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership that gives students the ability to earn associate’s and bachelor’s degrees via online classes. Computer science, accounting, management, and supervisory leadership are the associate’s degrees offered through this program. General business, computer science, finance, and diplomacy and military studies are among the majors for bachelor’s degrees.
- Distance Education at Leeward Community College has several degree and certification programs delivered entirely online or through a combination of online and classroom instruction. Students can earn an associate’s degree in management along with certificates in business technology, administrative support for medical offices, sales and marketing, and graphic design.
- Honolulu Community College offers a number of online degrees for students seeking a two-year college degree that can also be transferred to a four-year university. The school offers distance learning classes through cable TV and web-based systems. Some classes combine elements of each and are simply enhanced by one or both of these technological components.
- BYU-Hawaii Online is the distance learning department at BYU’s campus in Hawaii. The university offers a large selection of online-only courses in subjects that include business, history, education, and communications. Many of the classes are general education courses. Students must take a minimum of 30 credits on campus, meaning the school currently does not offer full degree programs online. However, up to 90 credits can be completed through this distance learning program.