Not everyone is a genius who can do well in school without any effort. It is normal for students to struggle in school, maybe academically or socially. Different students may struggle in different courses and during different grade level. It really depends on the individual’s situation. It is common for students to struggle, however, that is not an excuse to let the struggle continue and to be defeated by difficulties. This post will help you to know why you may struggle in school and how to stop the struggle.
Why Do You Struggle?
You should ask yourself this question if you are struggling in school. Knowing the reason of having difficulty can help you find the solution. Here are some reasons that may cause you to struggle in school.
- Academic Struggle:
- Maybe Not Working Hard? Many students complain for getting bad grades and never blame themselves. If you are not working hard for a class, you have a big chance to struggle in that class. So think if your struggle is caused by laziness.
- Wrong Study Method? Some students may say ” I work hard, but my grades just do not show that!” Working hard is not enough to be good at studying. Using the right learning method is also important.
- No Interest? Students tend to struggle in a course if they do not have interest in it.
- Do Not Like The Teachers? Students tend to have bad grades in classes with teachers they do not like.
- The Classes Can Be Hard! There are classes that are designed to make students struggle a little. For example, Advanced Placement courses are college level high school courses that students are expected to struggle in them.
- Social Struggle:
- Bad Influence: Students can have social struggle because of bad influence around them.
- Bullying: This is one of the main issues in school. Check stopbullying.gov to learn what bullying is why it happens.
- Personality: Some negative personality can cause students to have social problems.
- Incidents: Students may struggle in school due to incidents like parents’ divorcing, financial crisis, and so on.
For parents, check signs that your children may have if they are struggling in school.
How To Stop The Struggle?
After identifying the reasons why you are struggling in school, here are some ways to change the situations and overcome the challenges:
- Be positive and keep working hard
- Ask teachers and friends for help
- Try new studying methods
- Know that studying is not always interesting. You have to do what you have to do.
- Do not give up a course simply because you do not like the teacher
- Use online resources to help you
- Just do your best. For hard courses like AP, you should give yourself a big thumb up if you tried your best and have no regret.
- Stay away from the bad influence
- Make friends selectively
- Change the negative personality you have
- Ask for help
- Stay strong
- Have confidence